Friday 1 June 2012

Experimenting


I got a package of terracotta air drying clay, I usually prefer the white one but there wasn't any last time at the store so I went for this one. I made a few of my clay houses, but in order to get these ones to be so brightly colored I would have to paint them white first and then color them. I still wanted to keep the terracotta color (it's growing on me), so I decided to paint them white and at the same time remove some paint, then paint them another color and remove some paint again.
I wanted there to be layers of paint and  the original color showing up too, I like the result so far. I also used some sand paper to remove a bit more of the paint. I plan to varnish them soon, I'm pretty sure the terracotta will turn a deep red-brown color as it's supposed to be. Oh and excuse my colored hands, it was a pretty messy experiment :-)
I'm going to be away for a few days, a small trip to the country side but I leave you with a wonderful read and giveaway from the interview series: you can win an amazing print from Daniel Moreira!
wishing you a great weekend
xoxo
Aleka

p.s See more creative spaces right here!

3 comments:

  1. πολύ ωραίο αποτέλεσμα! μοιάζει λίγο και με πατίνα!
    νομίζω ότι τα χρωματισμένα χέρια ταιριάζουν απόλυτα για την φωτογράφιση!
    καλό μήνα αλέκα και καλά να περάσετε στο ταξιδάκι!

    xx
    ευδοκία

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the celadon colour with the terracota colour breaking thru, it makes it look antique-y rather than brand new, lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little house.....I love the 'aged' look to the paint.

    I have a packet or air dry clay in the cupboard. I should get it out and have a play.

    Enjoy your break,

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete