Friday 3 September 2010

Research


I am preparing for my trip to Andros, researching Isamu Noguchi, packing bags and doing last minute shopping. During my internet search I came across Constantin Brâncuşi, very interesting photos of his work here. His photo reminded me of my favorite Greek sculptor Yannoulis Halepas, photos of him and his work here. His most famous sculpture is the Sleeping Female Figure (1877) at the tomb of Sofia Afentaki.
Halepas said that when the girl's mother came to see the clay model, to approve it so that he could make the final marble sculpture, she didn't like it and told him so. He then grabbed a sculpting tool and hit the statue at the chest, that made the head break off the body. Then the mother apologized to him saying she did like it. The sculpture, a plaster cast not the original, is at the first cemetery of Athens.


No comments:

Post a Comment